Word-of-mouth is a powerful tool you can use to promote your store. Based on an article by LifeHacker, we've created a way you can connect with students and encourage them to do your advertising for you! Using the following strategy, you can easily filter pictures with a certain hashtag on Instagram, so that they appear as a slideshow or rotating wallpaper on in-store computers, your POS or even a plasma screen TV.
For instance, ask your students to take a picture wearing a piece of branded merchandise during football season or a specific giveaway item from buyback. Then, have them Instagram it with a specific hashtag such as #UBSSchoolSpirit. With the help of this simple program, you'll be able to showcase their pictures to all of their peers in your store! Students love seeing themselves on screen and this will give them the perfect excuse to stop in.
So, go ahead, try it! We promise, it's much simpler than it seems. If you have any questions or need help getting started, feel free to contact us or comment below. We're happy to help!
How to build an Instagram-powered Slideshow Screen Saver for Windows/Mac:
- Create a free Dropbox and IFTTT account if you do not already have one.
- Download/install Dropbox on the computer you plan to display your images on.
- Sign in to your IFTTT account. Note: IFTTT is a service that lets you connect web accounts (“channels”) based on some specific event (“trigger”) to create a new type of interaction (known as “recipes”). You may learn more about the service here.
- Connect your Instagram and Dropbox accounts:
- Once you’re signed in to IFTTT, activate your Instagram and Dropbox channels. The activation process will require you to sign in to each individual channel and “grant permission” to IFTTT to access that channel.
- Follow this recipe link and click the “Use Recipe” button.
- Fill out the following information, then click “Use Recipe”
- Tag: the Instagram hashtag you want to use to source images.
- File URL: Defaults to “SourceURL”. Use this.
- File Name: Optional extension to append to the filename. OK to leave blank.
- Dropbox folder path: Defaults to “IFTTT”. If you plan on managing multiple/future campaigns that you would like to keep separate, we suggest changing the path to ifttt/instagram/YOUR-HASHTAG/ where YOUR-HASHTAG is the same as you entered in the "Tag" field above.
- Once the recipe has been created, IFTTT will direct you to your “Personal Recipe” page and automatically activate that recipe. You can come to this page at any time to deactivate it if you no longer wish to collect photos.
- The next step is to connect your Dropbox to the computer you want to display the images on:
- Make sure you have at least one photo in the Dropbox location you plan to use (this is the same folder as what you designated in "Dropbox folder path" above.)
- Directions for Windows:
- Right-click on your desktop and select “Personalize”
- Select “Screen Saver”
- In the drop-down menu, select “Photos”
- Click on “Settings…” Under the “Use pictures from:” heading, click the “Browse…” button and navigate to the Dropbox folder you want to use. Select how often you want the slide show to change images and if you want the images to “shuffle” order then click "Save".
- Make sure to specify when you want your screensaver to turn on (e.g. after 1 minute)
- Click “OK” on the Screen Saver Settings menu.
- Directions for OSX:
- Right-click/CMD-click the desktop and select “Screen Saver”
- Select the style of photo screensaver you prefer from the left sidebar
- In the drop-down menu next to “Source” select “Choose folder” and navigate to the Dropbox folder you want to use (from step 3iv)
- Select if you want the images to shuffle order.