Does your store have a viable online presence? Tom Pick shares some eye-opening statistics detailing just how much we are an online society in a list originally posted on Webbiquity. We’ve chosen 10 facts to highlight below, but be sure to check out the rest of Pick’s points here.
Gone are the days when a mobile-enabled web presence was an afterthought. According to CNN, “Americans used smartphone and tablet apps more than PCs to access the Internet (in January 2014) — the first time that has ever happened.” Take a look at some other staggering statistics:
1. There are now 143 million smart phones in use in the U.S., and 71 million tablets. (Heidi Cohen)
2. 91% of U.S. adults now own a mobile phone. 61% of those are smartphones. (Heidi Cohen)
3. Smart phone use varies by age group. 81% of U.S. adults age 25-34 own a smartphone, as do 70% of teens and half of adults age 55 and over. (Heidi Cohen)
4. 189 million Facebook users (almost one out of five) are mobile-only, and mobile use accounts for 30% of Facebook ad revenue. (Fast Company)
5. And 751 million (nearly three-quarters of the total) Facebook users access the network from mobile devices at least some of the time. (Digital Buzz Blog)
6. Twitter has more than 500 million total users. 288 million users are active monthly, collectively sending out over 400 million tweets each day. (Digital Buzz Blog)
7. 25% of smartphone owners ages 18–44 say they “can’t recall the last time their smartphone wasn’t next to them.” (Fast Company)
8. 76% of millennials own a smartphone. 73% own a laptop. (The Social Media Hat)
9. 25% of Americans use mobile devices (primarily tablets) only to access the Internet. And there are five times as many cellphones in the world as there are PCs. (iMedia Connection)
10. 60% of Twitter users access the network from mobile devices at least some of the time. (Digital Buzz Blog)
If you're not online, you need to be! Talk to your MBS Representative about all the ways we can help make your store accessible to students around the clock.