How can campus stores participate in the gaming market? There are many ways that you can dive into these markets, but we suggest beginning with carrying video games in the store. This gives the 70 percent of student gamers a quick and easy location for purchasing new titles. It also gives new and returning students the opportunity to grab games when they come in to purchase next term’s books.
Gaming has become commonplace among college students, and there’s a good reason for campus bookstores to take part in this flourishing industry. Nearly 70 percent of college students play video games regularly according to Pew Internet Research. These students contribute to the ever-growing gaming industry, which has grown into one of the largest in entertainment, comprising $152.1 billion in 2019. Esports popularity has risen among college campuses and has developed an industry valued at $1.1 billion in 2019 and is steadily growing.
How to get students involved through gaming
Student who participate in extracurricular activities are more likely to persist in their education. Campus extra-curricular events give students a release from schoolwork and provide a way to strengthen their school connection through friendships, and a sense of belonging. This Generation of students feels more disconnected than ever before. Give students a chance to be a part of something communal that will benefit them and help prevent loneliness.
An excellent method of getting students involved is to create an engaging campus gaming event. Using gaming as a base for these gaming events will be a fun way to pull groups of students who would otherwise play alone in their dorms out to play together in person. Creating a competition out of it will drive and bring them together. Communicate with your college’s athletic department to see if the school has a team. If so, speak to them to gain insight on what games students play and what kind of merchandise would appeal to this group.
Host a competitive gaming event
A gaming competition can be a great way to build a relationship with the student body and hype for your school’s esports team. Take these steps to create a gaming event:
- Find a venue large enough to contain the event, either in your campus bookstore or an easily accessible location.
- Set a time and date to hold the event, consider times when students are likely to be free.
- Choose prizes such as logoed esports team jerseys, video games and other gaming merchandise.
- Select the game or games you’ll be hosting. This will affect what kind of gaming consoles you’ll need. Consulting your esports team or the student body will help you decide. Some popular games today are: Fortnite, Super Smash Bros and League of Legends.
- Work with your esports team to provide gaming consoles or ask participants to bring their own gaming console. You will still need to provide a television or two so that everyone can watch the games.
- Create social media posts advertising the event that include the time, place, prizes, and registration process.
- Set everything up to make sure there aren’t any technical difficulties that may hinder the event.
- Consider setting up snacks and drinks to hand out or sell.
- Take photos of the event and publish them on social media.
Rewarding esports gear
Prizes could include anything from keychains to gaming console equipment like headsets or controllers. If your school has an esports team, you could offer the team jerseys or other gear. The reward doesn’t have to be expensive or extravagant, but it’s important that there is an incentive to win.
Plan to have events like these each year and be sure to let students know that you will continue to help them connect with groups of like-minded individuals. This will place you as not just a campus bookstore, but an ally to students.